CD-RW/DVD-ROM Combo

Bill Cavalieri bcavalieri at gekl.net
Wed Dec 24 07:59:55 CST 2003

On Tue, 2003-12-23 at 20:17, Jonathan Hutchins wrote:
> On Tuesday, December 23, 2003 09:09 am, Rich Edelman wrote:
>
> >... the cdrecord author doesn't like that [handling IDE directly], and he
> > lets you know that.
>
> What an ass.  Few of us can afford the purist SCSI drives he gets to work
> with, but in spite of the fact that IDE CDR drives have been the norm for
> years he refuses to face reality.

I'm using a ide cdrw and ide dvdrw without ide-scsi, and not having any
problems (2.6 kernel) with k3b.

In gentoo you just add cdr dvdr to your use and re-emerge cdrtools,
cdrdao and k3b (have to use experimental version for dvdrw's).  On other
distro's you may to find an update rpm/deb yourself.

-Bill