Anyone know about using AT&T for DSL?

Karl Schmidt karl at xtronics.com
Wed Dec 24 04:31:48 CST 2003

Jason Clinton wrote:

> All DSL service is the same at the hardware level.

Only up to the DSLAM

> After all, SBC is
> mandated to sell their DSL system to resellers and that's all that AT&T
> is providing.

SBC has a reputation of overselling their bandwidth -- thus you can get
much better performance IF you use someone who has better
backbone-connectivity or just a better pipe out of the DSLAM.  There can
be other huge differences based on how the service is capped - for
example if they are selling 1.5/768 they mostly try and provide 768 and
my tests on a SBC serviced friends computer would seem to suggest that
they configure a cap at 768. The folks I use now, hypervine, with
similar tests often gives me tests that get up to 1.1.

It is very hard to run these tests - I find a few places (using
traceroute) running a bandwidth test on the same back-bone that the ISP
uses and then run several tests. Doing the same test using SBC service
gives very poor numbers.

At peak usage time (late afternoon) I could not get over 150kb with SBC
while hypervine would run in the 700s.

I also need to check sure that I don't have to use PPPoE with the new
provider (shouldn't have to with a static IP) as it cuts real bandwidth
with a 10%protocol load.

> The only thing you should be asking yourself is if you
> like AT&T's customers service; all else will be the same.

I would have to disagree.

Karl Schmidt EMail    Karl at xtronics.com
Transtronics, Inc.    WEB http://xtronics.com
3209 West 9th Street  Ph(785) 841-3089
Lawrence, KS 66049    FAX(785) 841-0434

Merchandise offered without price,
is sure to cost more than it is worth.  -kps