Digital Cameras

Matt G linux at bizniche.com
Tue Dec 23 06:02:32 CST 2003

<snip>
I've been looking at a couple of lower end Olympus
digital cameras. The specs are pretty decent bang for
the buck, except for one thing. They use the "xD
picture card" that Olympus seems to have jointly
developed with Fuji.
</snip>

--When I was looking at digi cams recently, having the xD picture card
was on top of my must-have list.  I was shopping for my second fuji film
(first one was lost camping.)  In my research and experience, the xD
card uses WAY less power than other types of media, and the xD card
allows for very quick write times (so, shorter times between pictures).
My batteries on my fuji's last for hundreds of pictures, where my dads
sony might take 30 before it need new batts.

<snip>
Is this a coming standard? Are they formatted as
standard USB mass storage devices? Or will this be the
next 30 pin simm, an electronic Albatross for those
who buy it?
</snip>

--The 2 fuji's that I've had (both using xD) have been formatted as USB
mass storage devices.  I'm not sure if that's a function of the media,
or of the camera.   My new Fuji s5000 (which, I HIGHLY recommend)  works
like a champ in kde.  Shows up as a removable device.   I'm starting to
see decices show up with more support for xD.  Several of those new
multi-type media readers on the market have xD support.

Hope my one-sided opinion helps. :)

Matt