What makes Linux great?

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Sat Dec 20 21:42:16 CST 2003

You know, I was going to answer this.  I even started to list the main reasons
why I'm currently converting all of my Windows systems to Linux.

Then I returned to my senses.  Microsoft has made it abundantly clear that it
views competitors as enemies.  Competition is to be smotherd, obliterated,
discredited, or if all else fails, assimilated.

So why does Microsoft want to know what makes Linux great?  So it can refute
it, tailoring it's FUD campaigns more carefully?   So it can find other
tactics like it's support of SCO's lawsuits to impede Linux's strengths? So
it can engineer it's own software to lock Linux systems out, prevent them
from succeeding in mixed environments?

We'd all like to believe that it's so it can target those strengths as ways to
enhance it's own software, but years track record show that even when
Microsoft does this, it also does the "take away their air" tactics and is
ultimately more interested in it's own "triumph" than in the advancement of
technology.

No, Mr. Surkan, I don't believe you're the kindly uncle who just wants to
understand us better.  Even if your personal motives are pure, even if the
infomation you collect is used for good, it will also be picked over by the
best experts in the world for any scrap that can be used against Linux - and
ultimately against us.