Telephone System

Oren Beck oren_beck at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 20 09:12:41 CST 2003

>From: Patrick <pert at tas-kc.com>
>To: brad <brad at bradandkim.net>, kclug at marauder.illiana.net
>Subject: Re: Telephone System
>I don't know about this system, but here are some ideas, not all work on
>all systems.
>I don't know if it can ring multiple extensions, distinctive ring, have a
>speaker hooked up i.e. in the hall, garage, and outside, or perhaps use
>call pickup.
>
>I am almost certain that the best solution for a door phone might be to be
>able to ring multiple extensions. If they are outside anyone can let them
>in. Or ring a dummy phone (ringer only) in the hall. Then anyone can use
>call pickup to answer the door, or they can just walk to the door like it
>was a doorbell.
>
>For an intercom, it might be nice to page "overhead" and have them call
>extension 101. Unless you use a cordless and always have the phone at your
>side.

Suggestion  -The Asterisk project can indeed make use of IVR/proprintary
boards as intercom s but there are workalikes trading $ for stark simplicity
or Rube Goldberg lashups using junkbox modems and a spare slot or 2 in a pc
.  In a past situation we used a  " ringdown " box . This box  AkA  " Phone
line simulator " has 2 POTS jacks which when a standard phone on either jack
is picked up causes the other phone to ring !   This  performs the combined
functions of generating ring and talk voltages . Note also Ringdown box
produces switch selectable ring cadences or continous ring to distinguish it
from other signals .  Thus replacing " overhead " paging  . Then we used a
DTMF decoder to activate the electric door strike release and for a while
till cheap door opener remotes got common we used a relay to open an
overhead door . Application notes- The " Viking " brand ringdown box has a
street price used approx $50 for a model capable of ringing at least 2
mechanical bell phones or many electronic bells .

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3065742807&category=3309

Which I may be bidding on tomorrow for my wifey's campground front door
<grinz>

2 line - even a cordless- phone having line 2 on the ringdown loop has bonus
of making phone a keyless door opener if DTMF relay is used. Note part 2 -
anyone want the challenge of writing code to use a modem or sound card as
DTMF decoder ? Mayhaps the ring detect of the modem could serve as a "While
you were out" door message recorder- or even use the " Line off hook " sense
of the modem as replacement for a ringdown box if making remote phones ring
is not a mission requirment.  We can make this reflect either bash to fit
resources on site or start writing checks as one sees fit . Do please mail
me off list if you have questions . Hmn- googling for modems as line cards
so far either page 404 or zero hits  ...KCLUG getting credit for using cheap
modems as Line cards ?  Some thinking outside the box exercizes can produce
astonishing rewards and this group we have here indeed has history of
members doing just that .  Let's show them how it's done <Smile>

Oren

" Sometimes the long way around IS the best one "