Powerpc distro suggestions

Brian Kelsay BLKELSAY at kcc.usda.gov
Tue Dec 16 21:39:01 CST 2003

—----Quote--------------Charles Steinkuehler
Is anyone using Debian on the PPC or other 'alternative' architecture
(alpha, sparc, etc)?
I'm considering standardizing on Debian for my servers, due in part to
their support for more non-x86 architectures than any of the commercial
distro's (hopefully allowing me to resurrect some 500 MHZ Alpha systems
from the boneyard as decent web/dns/e-mail servers).
I have the alpha CD's of Debian, but haven't tried installing yet...
------------------End Quote------------

I have a Sparc machine that I intend to put something on.  The way I have been going it will
probably be Debian.  I need to get some other projects out of the way first though.  I have the
older Debian 3.0r1 Sparc isos and I may still have the PPC isos.  I downloaded the PPC ones for
Chris Wagner.  I'm hoping Debian gets their "testing" Net installer .iso files back up.  But there
is a woody net installer that I'm going to get and try.  You can get these for i386,  PPC, m68k and
Alpha here: http://www.phy.olemiss.edu/Debian-cd/

My guess is that Debian is going to be the distro of the future for alternative architectures like
PPC and Sparc.  Just my opinion, but look at what happened to the Red Hat Sparc and PPC edition and
Mandrake's is way out of date.

Brian Kelsay