Postfix

Duane Attaway dattaway at dattaway.org
Tue Dec 16 17:18:05 CST 2003

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003, Jonathan Hutchins wrote:

> Any postfix users out there?

I used it for several months, but went back to sendmail.

Postfix has a simple configuration file in english.  This may be good if
sendmail's m4 macros seem scary.  But I didn't like how Postfix handled
spam, accepting each mail even if it was an invalid user, then "sending"
it back as a bounce.  This was a problem as it amplified the bandwidth
from spammers to users that didn't exist.  Postfix effectively DOS'ed my
computer by crashing the memory to the end of swap.  I stopped updating
the IP address to my attaway.net domain and went back to sendmail.
Sendmail seems much less memory intensive and behaves very well on my 32MB
box with all my other applications.

Postfix's configuration file seemed rather limited in configuring how it
was to handle different conditions.  Sendmail seems to be written from
experience and does not quit.  Since my computer has been running for 247
days without a reboot, I'm sticking with sendmail.  It works.  Postfix
didn't.