UPS & Linux

Kendrick-LUG kulua at linux2themax.com
Tue Dec 16 08:29:47 CST 2003

Jon Moss wrote:

>I have had more power issues over the last month than the previuos 3+
>years!  I'm thinking about buying a UPS.  What would you recommend to work
>with either Red Hat 9 or Suse Pro 9 (currently have RH9 installed, but
>could start over with Suse 9).
>
>Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

several

if you are looking for a professonal solution for ups apc is the way to
go.  they have powerchute plus including support for apache (cgi's ?)
that displays all kinds of stats.   they are getting them selves phased
out of a fair amount of corperations due to paying for the name.  their
support is uposed to be quite good for litning strikes etc that nock out
the ups/equipment.  I was prevously a reliability reseller for them and
still have material around.

another to look in to is cyber power their are some modles supported by
nut it is usualy a cheeper solution ihave had several in y house
personaly 2 were killed when a transformer overloaded about 3 blocks
away and zaped the hell out of the grid my equipment was not harmed by
that overlaod.