UPS & Linux

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Tue Dec 16 03:16:09 CST 2003

There is support for basic UPS monitoring at a very low level in Linux.  If
you can get a serial port connection to take a line low when it's time to
shut the system down, you've got what you need.  I believe there's support
for "on battery", "Low battery", "battery out, shutdown", and "power
restored" in the basic SysV initscripts and in the kernel or a low-level
deamon.

Beyond that, if you're after fancy graphs of the battery's lifecycle-status or
the average line voltage this week, you'll have to rely on a software package
from the manufacturer.

Me, I've got this ancient box that has a mini-stereo plug that signals all I
need to know.