SuSE 9.0 install

Brian Kelsay BLKELSAY at kcc.usda.gov
Fri Dec 12 16:14:52 CST 2003

You may have to use iwconfig eth1 or dhclient eth1 or dhcpcd eth1 to initiate the card.  I had to
with my card.  May actually need to reboot once for the wireless to work.  Seems like I had to.
Most likely that got the dhcp client to run once though.

The Fedora net installer and the soon-to-be-released Debian installer are supposed to just download
the selected pkgs instead of mult. iso images and be instantly up to date.  The full iso would only
be necessary if you couldn't get a net connection, had a slow net connection or you intend to
install on multiple PCs.  In the near future (next couple months) I see the ability to download a
custom iso coming.   You will run through the installer online and an iso will be built by a script
and ready for download in a short amt of time.  You can already do this with some online firewall
builder scripts.

So is all the SuSE downloading already coming from the novell.com site?  Can you still point to
suse.com or is novell.com just faster?

—-------------Quote--------
<snip>
Not so the acx100 wireless.  It's detected and described, but doesn't light
up.

YaST's software update doesn't work out-of-the-box.  I think the path for the
only U.S. mirror, sourceforge, is wrong.  I finally got it to work with the
path ftp://ftp.novell.com/pub/SuSE/ - had to trim back to just the "SuSE"
directory.  We are now 33% patched.

Why can't they patch the distro files directly, so you don't have to download
everything twice?

Brian Kelsay