Multilink

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Tue Dec 9 16:01:29 CST 2003

On Tuesday 09 December 2003 07:37 am, Greg Kedrovsky wrote:

> Does anyone have a link where I could get more information on this? Dual
> modems and two connections?

With an IDSN line, you have two discrete data channels.  In order to get the
full bandwidth, you have to have a way to bond them together as a single
pipeline.  For some reason this was seldom done in the modem, so software on
the PC was responsible.  I think Microsoft calls it "multilink", others call
it "channel bonding".  It's included with any software that supports ISDN
connections.

The fun thing is, it doesn't care what kind of channel you're bonding.  I've
seen it work with two ISDN channels and two dial-up modems going through two
different ISP's, all carrying data for the same FTP transfer.