Internet through DTV

Greg Kedrovsky greg at iglesia-del-este.com
Mon Dec 8 00:48:21 CST 2003

On Sun, Dec 07, 2003 at 06:53:55AM -0600, Leo J Mauler wrote:

> So you might want to look into getting a full-size Satellite Dish with a
> K-Band port and see about receiving data through it.

Okay, this I don't understand. Maybe it's the difference between
"K-Band" and whatever else is offered through folks like DirecWay. Why
would a full-size dish be any different than the wee fashionable one
that DTV or DirecWay sells/leases? Wouldn't I still have to get some ISP
to provide me signal, and then I'd be hosed because I'm in Central
America? Or, does a full-size dish allow me the possibility of simply
grabbing stray signals and hacking into the net that way?

> It might take some
> jiggering and kludging to get it to work as part of your home network,
> but you should see fairly fast download speeds this way, if not upload
> speeds.  Heck, for all I know full-size Satellite Dishes might even have
> some better way of handling downloads by now.

It sounds interesting. I would doubt it's totally legal, but maybe it's
one of those things that's not so much "illegal" as it is simply "not
mentioned" in laws around here.

There are 5 other families building houses on lots right next to mine
(small little urbanization/residential). I might be able to defray
costs...  :-)

-Greg

--
Mutt 1.4i on Red Hat 8.0 Linux