Setting up anon ftp in debian...

Matt G linux at bizniche.com
Sun Dec 7 03:55:07 CST 2003

> > I'm looking to setup anonymous ftp on my debian box, and I'm not sure
> > where to start.  I've been reading that a lot of distros use wu.ftp, but
> > I can't tell what I'm using.
> >
> > Can someone point me in the right direction?
>
> You might try vsftpd (very secure FTP daemon, http://vsftpd.beasts.org).
>    It's simple to set up and appears to have a Debian package.  I've had
> good luck with ProFTPd (http://www.proftpd.org) as well.  It can be
> harder to configure, but has more features.  WU FTP seems to be falling
> into disuse in favor of the former products.

If my regular users (created with adduser command) have ftp, then I'm
running some ftp daemon, right?  How do I find out what that is?  When I ftp
in, and then grep -ef | grep ftp, I see in.ftpd running.  So, I want to add
an anon user...can I use my current setup, or should I look into one listed
above?

Matt