Internet through DTV

kurt at verruckt.org kurt at verruckt.org
Sat Dec 6 03:48:22 CST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Donald Duvall" <dduvall at direcway.com>
To: <kurt at verruckt.org>
Sent: Friday, December 05, 2003 11:54 AM
Subject: RE: Internet through DTV

> I'm about 75 miles from Cameron. I have a Direcway TV dish and a separate
> transmitter dish. Kurt is telling it right. I just want to add: You can
use
> Mac as well as win. I think. I've ragged about Linux but they are not
> interested. Transmitter install cost me $100. I put up the pole. The
> equipment cost me $400 about 15 months ago. I'd recommend you check with
> Dish. They have more power and May have a linux interface. They were $10 a
> month higher. My mistake. Lower power means more weather outages. I just
> swept the snow off my reflector to get the signal back. Something to
> consider.
> Don

I think that Direcway is the ONLY one that supports Mac. If you can find out
from Direcway if the dw4020 is available then that might be an options.
OR...  now that I think about it. Check Direcway's site, and they offer
their newest versions of software for download. Open up wine and do some
experimenting. You never know. One thing i can tell you is, you WILL need a
modem in that computer the first time to get connected. It downloads
configuration settings to your comp. Its basically a hosts file. Though im
not sure how you could buffalo your way through that since you have no
control over where its put. The user is pretty much staring a picture while
this goes on. If maybe its puts it in your wine fake win C folder something.
Would be worth playing with before buying all that equipment.

Kurt

---