Internet through DTV

Leo J Mauler webgiant at juno.com
Fri Dec 5 21:18:06 CST 2003

On Fri, 5 Dec 2003 14:14:46 -0600 Greg Kedrovsky
<greg at iglesia-del-este.com> writes:
> On Fri, Dec 05, 2003 at 01:45:55PM -0600, Becker, Rob wrote:
> > This doesn't answer your question exactly,
>
> No, but it does give me alternatives to consider - alternatives that
> are more viable and affordable than direct satellite service.
>
> > and it may not be entirely legal,
>
> Neither would be satellite service. If I don't go through the
> government provider here, I'm pirating some signal from
> somewhere, regardless.  It's a real pain. No competition = no
> incentive for infrastructure development.
>
> > but could you make use of wireless technologies and a willing
> > partner in an area that does have broadband?  What I mean is
> > could you get someone who is in an area that has broadband
> > to subscribe to it and have you reimburse them?  Once that
> > piece is done you could put a wireless access point in at their
> > end and at yours.
>
> That's what this thread has me thinking about right now. I have
> a friend that is going to be installing my structured cabling in the
> house we're building (cat5e with RJ-45 jacks in every room
> and on the covered terrace, all cables in tubes in the walls
> running up to my rack in my SOHO; sweet!), and he lives right
> directly below me in an area which I believe has cable modumb.
> That may be my point of access.

Below you? What does this mean?

I ask only because of a "solution" I came up with awhile back when I
needed high-speed access and couldn't afford to get into wireless or buy
regular service: a buried wire line from my apartment to a neighboring
complex with a friend who did have high-speed access. Cat5 STP and a
stainless steel pipe

If the buildings are close enough...