Internet through DTV

Greg Kedrovsky greg at iglesia-del-este.com
Fri Dec 5 19:03:33 CST 2003

On Fri, Dec 05, 2003 at 12:25:16PM -0600, Jonathan Hutchins wrote:

> Exactly.  802.11b should be adequate - 11MB/sec.  Hardware about $70 each end,
> plus a good antenna - anywhere from a free Pringles chip can to a few hundred
> for a commercial antenna.  Range with direct line-of-site should not be a
> problem - you can get 50-60 Km with the right hardware.  It's just a question
> of how good an antenna you need.
>
> http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Wireless-HOWTO
>
> http://www.seattlewireless.net/

Neat. I like this. I like this a lot. This could also give me a leg up
on the learning curve for this "war driving" thing.  :-)

One concern: security. I guess I can firewall something like this,
right? A headless machine running something like Freesco, IPCop or Leaf
Bearing? I don't need some script kiddie with a Pringle's can and a
notebook hacking into my system or stealing my internal IP packets.

-Greg

--
Mutt 1.4i on Red Hat 8.0 Linux
Curridabat, San Jose, Costa Rica