Internet through DTV

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Fri Dec 5 18:25:30 CST 2003

On Friday 05 December 2003 11:45 am, Greg Kedrovsky wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 05, 2003 at 10:47:49AM -0600, Jonathan Hutchins wrote:
> > Of course, if you are in line-of-sight with any location where you might
> > be able to get a decent connection, you can set up a wireless link to
> > relay it to your location.

> Ooo... that's another idea. What kind of wireless?
> So, I could hook up one of my friends with cable modumb (our "broadband"
> down here) and then share with him, getting my link via the wireless? Is
> that right?

Exactly.  802.11b should be adequate - 11MB/sec.  Hardware about $70 each end,
plus a good antenna - anywhere from a free Pringles chip can to a few hundred
for a commercial antenna.  Range with direct line-of-site should not be a
problem - you can get 50-60 Km with the right hardware.  It's just a question
of how good an antenna you need.

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Wireless-HOWTO

http://www.seattlewireless.net/