Decent, Networkable Color Printer

Leo J Mauler webgiant at juno.com
Wed Dec 3 10:18:55 CST 2003

On Tue, 2 Dec 2003 11:13:54 -0600 Jonathan Hutchins
<hutchins at tarcanfel.org> writes:

> Ok, having spent probably two hours messing with my
> Lexmark Z-32 and STILL not having printed the ONE
> page I wanted in color, I'm asking for suggestions for
> a decent, networkable color printer.  Currently the
> printers hang off of the NT4 server and are shared via
> NT & samba, but that could change.  (Main thing
> this does is offer compatibility for the old Mac, which
> will go away soon.)
>
> I know to steer clear of Epsons.

I'm not sure why you want to do that.  You mention below about ink
cartridges drying up or clogging, and I have an experience to relate.

I picked up a refurbished Epson Stylus Color 777 last year at a
MicroCenter (93rd & Metcalf) sale.  I have to order my generic ink
cartridges online to avoid spending $30+ locally for each cartridge,
black or color, but $25 buys both a black and a color ink cartridge
online.

Mandrake 8.1 came with a CUPS driver for the Epson printer (and
recognized it during the install), and as I don't print much I can safely
say that even with a generic printer cartridge, the printer can go a week
without printing without the cartridges drying up or clogging.  I have to
do something really wrong to cause a cartridge to clog (such as putting
in a really flimsy envelope).

Black printing comes out very nice, and you can print dozens of pages at
a time without problems.

Now, you'd have to get one used, so I don't know if that would cause a
problem, but I really haven't had the problem with Epsons that you claim
many people have had.

> One of the main problems I have is I don't print much in color,
> and  the cartridges appear to dry up or clog pretty regularly.
> I had just done a monthly test page on the Lexmark, but when
> I went to print two days ago it was all screwed up.
>
> What's good?  What's available at a reasonable price that won't
> make me mess with it for hours for the three prints I want in a
> month?

Frankly I'd stay away from Lexmarks.  I've had nothing but trouble with
Lexmark printers, mine and other people's.  The cartridges on them
frequently dry up quickly, and I always have to run the nozzle cleaning
option at least once a week.