OT: DECEMBER 2nd - 8th IS HR2239 WEEK!!!

Jim Herrmann kclug at ItDepends.com
Wed Dec 3 04:24:21 CST 2003

For those of you who are interested in a verifiable election process by
requiring a paper trail, please contact your representative about HR2239
ASAP.  This bill also bans the use of undisclosed software and wireless
communications.  I would recommend that you tell your rep and your
senators that open source voting software is the only way to make it
trustworthy.  There, that makes it on topic.

Here Aman Batheja, here's a topic for you to sink your teeth into and
put a real story about a real problem in the KC Star for a change.  Open
Source Software is the only way to create reliable voting machines.  See
Wired: "Aussies Do It Right: E-Voting"
http://www.wired.com/news/ebiz/0,1272,61045,00.html for a good start.
Here's a snip.

"While critics in the United States grow more concerned each day about
the insecurity of electronic voting machines, Australians designed a
system two years ago that addressed and eased most of those concerns:
They chose to make the software running their system completely open to
public scrutiny.

Although a private Australian company designed the system, it was based
on specifications set by independent election officials, who posted the
code on the Internet for all to see and evaluate. What's more, it was
accomplished from concept to product in six months. It went through a
trial run in a state election in 2001.

Critics say the development process is a model for how electronic voting
machines should be made in the United States.

Called eVACS, or Electronic Voting and Counting System, the system was
created by a company called Software Improvements
<http://www.softimp.com.au/index.html> to run on Linux, an open-source
operating system available on the Internet."

Thanks for your time, and don't forget to contact your senators and
representatives,
Jim Herrmann