Another possible reason Dell is moving customer support back to the U.S.

Leo J Mauler webgiant at juno.com
Tue Dec 2 10:58:35 CST 2003

On Mon, 1 Dec 2003 08:35:44 -0600 (CST) Dave Hull <dphull at insipid.com>
writes:
> On Sat, 29 Nov 2003, Jonathan Hutchins wrote:
>
> > IT workers have been specificaly exempt from overtime
> > pay for years.
>
> I'm sure others have already spoken up about this, but
> in case they haven't, just about all the IT workers where
> I work are non-exempt, meaning they are paid
> time-and-a-half for overtime. Whether or not someone
> is paid for overtime has nothing to do with them being
> an IT worker, it has to do with an employees FLSA
> (I think that's it) exempt/non-exempt status.

In all fairness to the people who say that IT workers have been
specifically exempt, one could probably state that most companies have
*tried* to make IT workers exempt as much as possible, giving rise to the
idea that some federal law exempts them from overtime.

If you've got a guy who will probably be needed every single day of the
year, you try to make him exempt from overtime, usually through making
the position salaried.  The head technical guru/engineer at KCPT is
salaried (I've met him, he has the Office Of Many Computer Parts, the
Monolith Rackmount, and the Full Access To Three T3 Lines that most of us
only dream about).  Of course, I'd expect that most non-profits try to
keep their necessary individuals on a salary.