multiple kernel versions and module loading

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Mon Dec 1 21:30:14 CST 2003

On Monday 01 December 2003 09:46 am, Brian Densmore wrote:

> Good morning. Maybe it's just the Turkey Day effect.
> I installed the 2.6 test-11 kernel on my new debian box
> and compiled it and the modules and installed them.
> I copied the kernel to the /boot directory and added a
> menu entry for my grub loader. The kernel boots, but
> doesn't load any of the modules.

Ok, I'm going out on a limb here, because I've had this problem once but not
with a compiled kernel, just a binary.

The kernel you compiled is a different version than the one you're already
running, right?  You compiled the kernel, but did you build the new versions
of the modules?  I think you need to "make modules", and then make sure that
there's at least a symbolic link to the new module tree for the new kernel.
I don't remember how you go about dealing with multiple version-dependent
module libraries, but I know it can be done.