multiple kernel versions and module loading

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Mon Dec 1 15:46:26 CST 2003

Good morning. Maybe it's just the Turkey Day effect.
I installed the 2.6 test-11 kernel on my new debian box
and compiled it and the modules and installed them.
I copied the kernel to the /boot directory and added a
menu entry for my grub loader. The kernel boots, but
doesn't load any of the modules. I gives me some arcane
error message about it. I can't remember now what is was.
I even tried loading the module, by giving it the full
path [probably needed to use an option for that]. Anyway,
I know I'm forgetting something basic here [like adding
a path to include the 2.6 libraries in the modules.conf].
Can someone clue me in?

BTW, the new xconfig is real slick, and they also have a
gconfig I'm going to try out as soon as I decipher the error
message [probably need to install some gnome library/ies].
Also the new kernel looks like it has a fix for the laptop
sound problem. In fact the new 2.6 kernel looks like it has
a lot of fixes. Oh yeah and the devfs is being obsoleted by
some new device handler. Overall the 2.6 kernel looks like a
major improvement over 2.4. And that's saying a lot!

 Brian

Windows 95 - A
32 bit extension to a
16 bit shell for a