cluster

Duane Attaway dattaway at attaway.net
Wed Sep 25 14:58:04 CDT 2002

On Wed, 25 Sep 2002, Charles Steinkuehler wrote:

> Should we have a contest for the oldest/cheesiest hardware with linux
> currently installed?  Anyone got any working 386 stuff?  486-sx?  I
> actually bit the bullet and pitched a bunch of ancient machines when I
> moved, or I'd be in the running with a 386sx system I used to test
> firewall software...

I have an old 386 laptop with a generous 4MB of ram.  There was one floppy
distribution that worked great.  Took forever to boot, but I had a shell
to play with.

Once I tried to boot a hard drive with redhat installed on it.  It
complained about running out of memory trying to spawn the tty's and
didn't do much after that.

Its a neat little laptop.  Easy on the batteries.  Perhaps if I make a
really pruned down kernel, it would be useful.