cluster

Charles Steinkuehler charles at steinkuehler.net
Wed Sep 25 13:58:10 CDT 2002

> I have an idea: lets build a cluster. I have two or three older PC I
can
> contribute. It could be really fun.

I have about 4 HP Vecta VL 5/75 (75 MHz Pentium) systems I've been
wanting to sell at a garage sale, but would donate to the cause if
you're serious (and acutally want them!).  16 or 32 Megs of ram,
on-board video/IDE, and I can probably scrounge 1-2 Gig IDE drives for
them if necessary.  I even have a couple of spare power supplies for
them.  I also have lots of IBM 2G narrow SCSI drives (full height 3 1/2
inch), if anyone has controllers...

...oh, and you can have any of my 486 hardware you want, too...I've even
got a system with VLB SCSI RAID (dual IBM 2Gig drives in a RAID-1
mirror), that was my web server (based on LRP, and running thttpd) until
I moved my office.  Woo-Hoo!

Should we have a contest for the oldest/cheesiest hardware with linux
currently installed?  Anyone got any working 386 stuff?  486-sx?  I
actually bit the bullet and pitched a bunch of ancient machines when I
moved, or I'd be in the running with a 386sx system I used to test
firewall software...

Charles Steinkuehler
charles at steinkuehler.net