next round LEAF/Bering

Eric Rossiter rossiter at discoverynet.com
Tue Sep 24 21:23:19 CDT 2002

Hey all,

Another go around today with LEAF/Bering.  Learning a lot.

I've configured the following files.

/etc/ppp/peers/dsl-providers
plugin /usr/lib/pppd/pppoe.so
user user.name at sbcglobal.net
noipdefault
defaultroute
hide-password
icp-echo-interval 20
icp-echo-failure 3
connect /bin/true
noauth
persist
mtu 1492

/etc/ppp/chap-secrets
user.name * password

/etc/ppp/pap-secrets
user.name * password

I've tried the above with and without quotes.  Either combination yields
the following from syslog:

Plugin /usr/lib/pppd/pppoe.so loaded
PPPoE Plugin Initialized
pppd started by root, uid 0
Sending PADI

And then just sits there...

Depending on when I ifdown ppp0, syslog reports the following:

invalid packet Ether addr:14:89:fa:bf:6c:6f
PPPoE hdr: ver=0xf type=0x9 code=0xf1 sid=0x4aeb length=0x5489 (UNKNOWN)
PPPoE tag: type=fabf length=6c6f  (UNKNOWN) unrecognized data
Failed to negotiate PPPoW connection: 4 Interrupted system call

If I don't ifdown ppp0, it just sits at "Sending PADI" indefinitely.

Any thoughts?

Thanks again,

Eric