Job Skills - was Re: Tech-support Hall of Shame

Aaron aaron at aarons.net
Fri Sep 20 16:07:09 CDT 2002

> Nothing personal, but you think too much. Stop reading all that
> psycho-babble. Could be a person has a limp handshake because they have
> parkinson's disease or ALS or CTS or any of a number of other
> perfectly valid musculoskeletal/nervous system disorders or just
> recovered from a broken hand. Not for any lack of confidence.

I have severe Rheumatoid Arthritis in both my hands.  The tendons in them
are hard and the muscles are weak.  I can barely cut my own food sometimes.
When I shake it feels like I just dipped my hand into a vat of acid.

You know what I do?  On a good day I grab the other persons hand squeeze as
hard as I can, look them in the eye, smile, grit my teeth through the pain
and go on.  Sometimes I have to use both hands to get a good grip.  On a bad
day.  I'm forced into a weak shake but I apologize to the other person and
briefly mention that I've had an injurry to my hand.  This way they know I
understand the importance of a good handshake, I'm just physically unable to
give them one.

In situation like those mentioned above, I think this is the correct way to
handle it.

Aaron