Dual display in Red Hat Linux?

Gene Dascher gedascher at multiservice.com
Fri Sep 20 14:03:27 CDT 2002

I guess it all depends on how the driver is written.  I am currently running
my laptop with a desktop that spans the laptop's LCD screen and a Sony 17"
Monitor.  The LCD is running at 1600x1200 and the CRT is running at 800x600.
It is perfect for web development, as I can code in one window and see the
results in the other window.  The Win98 driver for the ATI Rage Mobility 128
card that is in my laptop allows this functionality.  I have read posts on
the XFree86 mailing list about getting some newer generation ATI Radeon
cards to actually display 2 different desktops like I have described above.
So it IS possible with the proper driver support.

I am running a dual display desktop at home with 2 single-head video cards
and it works GREAT!  Matrox has a new 3-head video card that allows a more
submersive environment while playing QuakeIII, Jedi Knight II, etc.  I'm not
sure if the 2 side monitors show what you would normally see if you turned
right or left, or if they just show a much wider front view.  I don't know
if it can do this under Linux yet, or not.

Gene