Tech-support Hall of Shame

Dustin Decker dustind at moon-lite.com
Fri Sep 20 12:31:32 CDT 2002

On Fri, 20 Sep 2002, Aldis A. Tuck wrote:

> Experience is important:
> I have experience but I don't believe that I am good
> enough, I must have a complex!
>
> Who you know can be important: I don't know anybody, I
> would like to get to know people on this list and at
> the meetings but my social skills tend to go bye bye
> when I am around people smarter than myself.(I feel
> threatend and stupid)
[snip]

> Those are good tips, I think I am good with customers
> but not employers.  I have had a hate for
> employers/managers/interviewers/anyone else that has
> greater authority than me; ever since I was treated
> like crap by most of them.  Have you ever been told by
> a manager: " Your Not Good Enough to Shine My Shoes!"
> Do you have any idea what that implies? I might as
> well be dead.
[snip]

Man oh man - this is SUCH a bad call if you ask me.  Honesty and candor
are certainly rare in this day and age, and certainly valued.  There is,
however, a limit to how far one should go with this.

Posting information like this about yourself on a public mailing list,
one that is archived and easily searched, is probably not going to help
you at all - particularly if you find yourself in need of interviewing
with someone who isn't to ignorant or lazy to do their homework.  (I'm
sure you could Google this thread in a week or so.)

Just for fun, go out and Google your name, and see how much stuff is out
there.  I'm not speaking out of turn here - I've made this mistake
before.  What you say in public can stick for a long time in the digital
age.

Dustin

--
| Dustin Decker                     |
| http://www.dustindecker.com |                                         |
| Moon-Lite Computing         | "One Architecture, One OS" also         |
| 913.579.7117                | translates as "One Egg, One Basket".    |