Tech-support Hall of Shame

Aaron aaron at aarons.net
Fri Sep 20 02:09:51 CDT 2002

> Otherwise, I believe that most of us practically need to have a job
> opportunity fall in our laps.

I have to disagree with this.  I've never had a problem getting a job in
this field.  Yes, I make more than $8, $15, $20, or whatever other low
figure you guys are throwing out.  Yes, I've switched Jobs in the last 18
months.

Second.  I teach this stuff.  My students are leaving, fresh out of school
(2 year degree), no experience and landing jobs.  I have a 97% placement
rate... and they're not working for $8/hr either.  My average student starts
in the low 30's.

Now, please.  I am in no way trying to trivialize your situation (those of
you who are unemployed).  I'm sure you're going through a tough time.  There
are jobs out there.

Maybe it's your presentation?  Have you had your resume looked over by
someone who knows the field?

Are you a jerk in interviews?

Are you weird?  (this question comes from an interview I did a little over a
year ago in which the guy was EXACTLY what we were looking for but every
time I asked him a question he related everything to his ex girlfriend
getting raped 10 years ago.  I told him he was overqualified. :) )

Do you speak English? (proper grammar?)

Do you dress well? (Do you always wear a tie to the interview?)

Do you have visible tatoo's, piercings, etc....

Do you need a shave?

Haircut?

Do you smell bad?

Do you brush?  (your teeth)

Do you listen to the interviewer?  Look Interested?  Shake hands FIRMLY? (no
wimpy pinching, 3 fingered jobs.)

I can't answer any of these as I don't know you.  You need to look at the
whole package.  I sincerely wish you luck.

Aaron