Getting cable

Matt Luettgen crash3m at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 19 00:07:03 CDT 2002

I have worked for TWC and now am a sub contractor for
comcast... TW likes the modems to be on the first
split of the line, on a -3.5db tap (there is a 3.5 db
loss from the signal coming in).  Comcast is less
picky, they have a set range that the signal strength
should be (if its weaker than -10db I'll re arrange
splitters until it gets above -9...but thats just me)
Most comcast modems begin to drop off around -13db.
Both TWC and CC use 1Ghz splitters normally, I have
seen 2Ghz splitters used to reduce the amount of loss.

They will use quad shield RG6 for any new lines ran,
which is a good thing (RG59 = signal loss)  Things to
look out for are cleanliness of the install...I
personally think if it doesnt look good then it wasnt
done right.  Of course there are instances where you
have no choice but to toss the cable on the ground and
wrap it around the house...but thats not often.  Also
be sure to ask about the signal strength.  Comcast
tunes their taps for 4 outlets in a house...give or
take a few db.  I have seen some houses have a strong
signal (10+ db) even after 4 or 5 outlets have been
active...chances are a lazy tech installed that tap
and didnt bother to weaken the signal coming in, which
isnt really a bad thing.  Just incase anyone is
wondering about ip addresses servers etc....  their
pop3 server is mail.comcast.net, their smtp server is
smtp.comcast.net, as far as IP's are conserned they
use DHCP unless you buy a static IP.  If you have any
question I'd be more than happy to attempt to answer
them in the best manner possible...but forgive a
delayed response as I've only been checking my mail
once a week or so.

Good luck and enjoy!

Matt