Getting cable

Dustin Decker dustind at moon-lite.com
Wed Sep 18 20:22:38 CDT 2002

On Wed, 18 Sep 2002, Kurt Kessler wrote:

[snip]
> That is why I was wondering if it is advantageous to have it split
> closer to the modem, or if it makes a difference. Just want to make
> sure I am more informed this time round. Isn't a whole lot on the net
> about this, unless you take everything at dslreports as the gospel...

On the RoadRunner side of things with two televisions and one cable
modem I note they used two different splitters.  The first was IIRC
something like 150db or some such, and the other more like 50 or 75 for
the televisions.

I'm not really up to par on this stuff, haven't dealt with signal
strength on coax in years... so my numbers here might be off quite a
bit.  If I were home, I'd go downstairs and have a look for ya.
Essentially, there ARE splitters that offer better quality to your cable
modem than the rest of your devices such as cable boxes, tv/vcr, etc.

Dustin

--
| Dustin Decker                     |
| http://www.dustindecker.com | He who knows not and knows that he      |
| Moon-Lite Computing         | knows not is ignorant.  Teach Him.      |
| 913.579.7117                | He who knows not and knows not that he  |
*-----------------------------| knows not is a fool.  Shun him.         |
                              | He who knows and knows not that he      |
                              | knows is asleep.  Wake him.             |