Time-Warner, Cable Modems and basic cable service

Dustin Decker dustind at moon-lite.com
Wed Sep 18 15:23:41 CDT 2002

Howdy all,
I seem to recall a discussion here not too long ago about getting free
basic cable services from Time Warner if you have a cable modem and
nothing else.  The jest of my comments is "not true in my experience!"

A bit more than a month ago, frustrated at the high cost of having
digital cable (required to get HBO, the only channel I really even
wanted) and a cable modem led me to take both of my digital cable boxes
back to TWC and request only my RoadRunner cable modem service remain.

First off - there was the incredulous looks I got.  "What!?!  You mean
you aren't interested in our fabulous digital cable services?
Philistine!"  My reply, "No... I think MPEG2 technology sucks, the
picture isn't nearly what your marketing droids would have the world
believe it is, and at $110.00 a month for both RoadRunner and HBO I can
do without - thanks."

So the mess began - they indeed killed cable for me, and killed my modem
as well.  Called 'em up, went through all the bull required to get it up
and running again.  To their credit, the guy at RoadRunner was very
helpful, opening me up to get multiple IP addresses which was nice.
(Although he made a point of making sure I could here him furiously
typing at what would sound like 3000 words per minute while doing it -
self importance in the air and such.)  So I suffered a max of 24 hours
without my cable modem connection.  Basic cable still worked fine, and I
could watch the Clinton News Network to my hearts content.

Well - today a cable monkey climbed the pole out back and DID apply a
filter which disables basic cable.  So - I'm getting exactly what I am
paying for - a cable modem and nothing else.

Moral of the story - if you have roadrunner only, and basic cable still
works and you like it that way, you might want to keep that to yourself.
TWC obviously does not intend for basic cable to accompany a roadrunner
account for free.  (YES!  They DO have filters to make this a reality.)

Dustin

--
| Dustin Decker                     |
| http://www.dustindecker.com |  "Youth -- not a time of life but a     |
| Moon-Lite Computing         |  state of mind... a predominance of     |
| 913.579.7117                |  courage over timidity, of the appetite |
*-----------------------------|  for adventure over the love of ease."  |
                              |   -- Robert F. Kennedy                  |