bugtraq worm

Mike Distefano mdistefano at mjtek.com
Tue Sep 17 13:00:26 CDT 2002

I was hit with the bugtraq worm last Friday on a development system that had
an old version of Apache.  I have since stopped apache and used iptables to
drop all packets coming in from my exposed lan card (eth1), so I only have
local lan access to the system (eth0).

I've been trying to configure iptables to allow DNS traffic in and out of
eth1 but have had no success.  I've configured to allow source/dest packets
from port 53 and but still cannot use DNS services.  I'm on RH 7.2.

Here is an output of iptables -L:

Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
target	prot opt source			destination
DROP		all  --- anywhere			anywhere
ACCEPT	udp  --- anywhere			anywhere				udp
dpt:domain
ACCEPT	udp  --- anywhere			anywhere				udp
spt:domain

I've also configured in addition with whats listed domain with tcp packets
and the nameserver port 42 with udp and tcp packets.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Mike Distefano, MJ Technologies, Inc.
Ofc:    913-599-5526