Bandwidth - it's not what you think

Bradley Miller bradmiller at dslonramp.com
Sat Sep 14 18:20:14 CDT 2002

At 01:26 PM 9/14/02 -0500, Jonathan Hutchins wrote:
>Pulled the same download from sourceforge.net this morning, ~2.3MB, on both
>a system on my home network served by RoadRunner (standard domestic service)
>and a system that sits on a tri-redundant DS3 backbone.
>
>DS3: 	35.31KB/s
>RRCM:	28.29KB/s

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it a matter of how much THEY
allow you to use (or have available) that determines what your overall
speed is?  If I'm sitting on a T1, I'm not going to get 100% use of another
company's T1 speed for a download.  If I'm the only one on that site, I
could see that, but I suspect there is a fair amount of bandwidth
throttling going on with more and more broadband users trying to soak up
the net.

-- Bradley Miller