Need help with decision.

Jared jared at trios.org
Fri Sep 13 16:35:07 CDT 2002

If you like the Mac, stay with it.

Having tried the dual-boot option, I found it to be
a clumsy way to work, and eventually made the leap
into a full Linux partition. I suppose if you're
using something like Quark Xpress or Adobe Photoshop
and are real used to it, dual boot is wise. If you
do not NEED Windows, but only prefer it, go ahead
with Linux. It's frustrating at first because Windows
(and Macs) do some things better, which you'll miss,
but after a while, you'll have learned Linux and won't
miss the proprietary baggage one bit.

I believe your needs are part of a growing trend,
growing enough to be a market.

As mentioned in my previous letter, I am starting a
small business specifically targeting installing,
consulting, and developing in Linux and other free
software. I'm in way over my head (I know software,
not much hardware) and expect I will pester the
KCLUG list with lots of questions, but I am confident
it can be done. If you get to the point where you
are looking for someone to help setup Linux,
you could either show up to an installfest meeting
(the KC library is wheelchair-accessible), or put a
specific request to the list and chances are, someone
will be willing to help you. I would do so, but within
this group too many others are more capable than me.