Mozilla

Jeremy Fowler jfowler at westrope.com
Thu Sep 12 19:26:26 CDT 2002

There is a difference between threads and processes. Processes have all their
own resources (heap, stack, registers, etc.) and they communicate using
Interprocess Communication (pipes, signals, etc.). Threads share resources all
under one process, but each thread has it's own stack and registers. There are
two kinds of threads, kernel threads and user space threads. Kernel threads are
multiprocessor friendly but have considerable overhead that slows performance.
User space threads (or fibers) are faster since the program regulates the
scheduling of execution. Mozilla may use multiple threads, but unless you have
thread support built into ps and use the -m option, it won't show threads. And
kill can only kill processes, not threads directly. So when he kills
mozilla-bin, he is killing processes, not threads.

More info: http://www.eng.uwaterloo.ca/~ejones/software/threading.html