Broadband Providers

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at opus1.com
Sat Sep 7 17:28:46 CDT 2002

In several years of service, and numerous discussions on the KCLUG list, I
would have to say your problems are unusual if not unique.  I've never
experienced DHCP trouble.  A few times I had trouble getting an IP address
if I switched primary computers, but resetting the cable modem always took
care of it.

Why would you even notice DHCP outages anyway?  Don't you keep your
connection up?

In my experience and that of the list, our IP addresses don't change unless
we take our systems off-line for extended periods, like more than one day.
But you're right, they won't assign you a static address unless you go to
the commercial service level.

I also haven't had problems - at least that I noticed - with outages for
equipment maintenance.  This Summer I did have one or two outages that
lasted for an hour or so, but that was unusual.  Looking through my root
mail, I would have a message every fifteen minutes if there had been
outages, and I'm not finding any from August 1 on.

I do understand that different areas of town, probably served from different
NOCs, have had different experience, but you sure seem to have gotten the
prize.  It's also possible that you'll luck out on the DSL provider and not
have to go with Bell.

(I'm forwarding this to the list to expand the knowledge base - here's one
guy who really did get poor service from RoadRunner.)