GPG

Jason Clinton clintonj at umkc.edu
Fri Sep 6 16:10:50 CDT 2002

Jonathan Hutchins wrote:

>Jason, I'm not Microsoft, and I don't necessarily support their software
>decisions.  I work in a mandatory Microsoft-only shop, and I'm lucky I can
>pick up the mail at all.  The standards for mailing lists have been
>established for a long time, and while your motives and reasoning may be
>commendable, your postings still violate the basic rules of conduct for the
>net.  They're rude.

I understand your predicament but here are two thoughts:

1. It may surprise you to know that I'm also use MS Exchange here at
work as our mail server against my will. However, with enough
complaining, at some point in the past, the MS Exchange option to enable
IMAP and SMTP 'emmulation' was enabled. As far as I know these are
included in the default distibution of Exchange Server can work
completely interopperably with Outlook (ie. you can move between Outlook
and Mozilla Mail without problem). Bug your mail server people and ask
them to turn IMAP support on.

2. I spent about a year working on the documentation for a subversive
neural network for real time chat call IIP (Invisible IRC Proxy) that
allowed anyone (inluding terrorists) to chat completely anonymous
without fear of discovery. In the months following 9/11 we saw in
increas is scapegoating as way more agents than were nessisary were
moved from non-cyber crime units within the FBI to 'cybercrime
specialits' (532 agents to be exact). As soon as this occured things
started getting ugly and it was theorized that agents were fabricating
evidence to make it appear as though there were enough 'hackers' to
justify the existence of this new force. Our only defense at the time
and our only defense now is the relatively unconditional signing of our
coorespondence. If faced with fabricated evidence, I can now say, no,
that's not my signature or no that couldn't be from me because I ALWAYS
sign my coorespondence.

There are much greater implication and other sitations where I'm sure
this is relevant but the important thing is that this demonstrates the
value of the digital signature.

I will not sacrifice me freedom so MS can have their way.