mrtg problems

Jason Clinton clintonj at umkc.edu
Tue Sep 3 19:35:18 CDT 2002

mike neuliep wrote:

>Jason,
>
>    I'm doing this on a Caldera system.  It uses RPM and I am not totally
>familiar with RPMs and how Caldera manages (or redhat for that matter) how
>they manage their packages.  However I am very familiar with Debian.  What is
>redhat's or caldera's equivalent to debian's dselect program?  I'm not running
>X so I'm doing everything from bash shell.  Initially I installed the mrtg as
>an rpm and it didn't complain about dependencies.  After that I did the compile
>like Jeremy Fowler suggested and then everything was hunky-dorry.
>
>	Mike

The problem with installing from source on a package manages system is
if anything ever depends on any of the items you built from source (and
alot of things depend on libpng, zlib, and gd)  you're kinda up a creek
without a paddle unless you go back and install them all over again as
RPMs. I've not familiar with the method by which an RPM is created. I
once started to read about it and then quickly realized I hated RPMs. On
the other hand, all the packages you just installed from source should
be out there somewhere as RPMs already.

Once you have them, I suggest you run RPM like this to find out what the
dependicies are for any given package:

# rpm --requires foobar.rpm

At this point I don't believe Caldera has implemented anything like
APTGET or EMERGE to automatically fetch and install dependicies.