iptables

Jeremy Fowler jfowler at westrope.com
Tue Sep 3 16:48:29 CDT 2002

Well, Redhat 7.3 uses the 2.4 kernel, which uses Netfilter/Iptables. However, to
maintain backward compatibility with it's current user base, Redhat still mainly
uses ipchains by default. Also, most firewall utilities are ipchains based since
it's been around longer, however iptable popularity increases everyday.
Underneath it all it's still netfilter, what's different is the ipchains
compatibility kernel module that allows you to use the older ipchains commands
to add rules. You can't run both and the default iptable init scripts checks to
see if the ipchains module has already been loaded. I recommend iptables, and so
does the author who also wrote ipchains. However, I agree with Steven about
using an rc.script to start your firewall. I think it's much easier to read,
update, and understand when you can lay it out logically and well documented
compared to the iptables-save and init process. I haven't used too many GUI apps
to configure so I'm not sure which ones are any good. -Jeremy