video outage

Duane Attaway dattaway at attaway.net
Tue Sep 3 11:11:11 CDT 2002

You can start X manually with different color depths from runlevel 3 with
the following command:

startx -- -depth 24

where the number after "depth" can be 8, 16, 24, 32...

more information can be found with:

man startx

Other fun stuff when troubleshooting X sessions:

You can also start more than one X session without quitting your current
one if you wish to experiment:

startx -- -depth 16 :1

where :1 can also be :2, :3, :4... and flipping between the different
Xsessions can be done with ctrl-alt-F7, ctrl-alt-F8, etc...  You can even
launch applications on the other X sessions, even on other computers on
the internet with the DISPLAY environment variable:

export DISPLAY=attaway.net:1

if I ran the xhost command within my X to allow permissions for your host
to run on my computer.

Be warned there is a bug in at least one older version of redhat where the
environment will cause the system to crash if X is started from an Xterm.