Mailing List Backend?

A Duston hald at sound.net
Sun Sep 1 21:15:05 CDT 2002

Jason Clinton wrote:

> Just curios: why doesn't the mailing list backend for KCLUG utilize the
> "reply-to:" field? In GNU Mailman it's the default config. It would
> allow us to hit just 'reply' instead of 'reply to all'.

The "reply to all" is how you reply to all.  I.e. the entire list.
The "reply" is how you reply to the sender.  I.e. the orginal sender.
The "reply-to:" field will be set if the original sender has set it
in his own email client.  I.e. if the sending address isn't where the
replies need to go.  If the list changes that, then there isn't any
way to contact the sender off list.

For some advocacy see
and
http://zseem.ids.bielsko.pl/qmail/koobera/www/proto/replyto.html