Cluster project revisited

Charles Steinkuehler charles at steinkuehler.net
Wed Oct 30 19:43:47 CST 2002

> So where are we at with the cluster project?  It moved to a web site
and
> as of my last visit (admittedly it was 2 days ago) there were no new
> postings.  Are we losing momentum?
>
> I am pretty new to the list, but excited about the responses and
> opportunities.  I have a real world (read 'work') project to set up a
> convolo (application?) cluster and am ready for that challenge.  I
would
> love the chance to set up a beowulf cluster at the same time.  I can
> offer a secure climate controlled noc with a good backbone, and my
time.

> How does everyone feel about this?

I've still got my 5 identical HP Vectra's, complete with spare power
supplies that I'd like to hand off during the Lawrence RedHat visit
(since I have yet to actually attend one of the KC meetings):

http://www.kclug.org/archives/2002/oct/0689.shtml

They may be slow by today's standards, but they're in small-ish desktop
cases, and being identical machines should make a good test cluster.

Twist my arm a bit, and I could probably be convinced to throw in some
decent 8G Hitachi IDE drives.  I have at least 3 of these, and I think
there are actually 4 (on already in-system)...could be used to make 4
exactly identical systems!.

So...any takers yet, or am I going to have to keep upping the ante?!?!

Charles Steinkuehler
charles at steinkuehler.net