What is Linux to you?

Dave Hull dphull at insipid.com
Wed Oct 30 16:07:27 CST 2002

On 30 Oct 2002, JD Runyan wrote:

> Don't be an ass, the question asked like this.
>
> question: What drove you to Linux?
> answer  : I got my MCSE

I got the joke, and I thought it was damn funny too.

For me, my dad had reintroduced me to computers after a half decade hiatus,
when he turned over his old 386. I upgraded it to a 486DX280 -- rockin. I was
working in the computer lab up on campus in Lawrence and had accounts on
several Unix boxes and wanted to learn the ins and outs better.

I bought a second drive and downloaded Slackware to 15 floppies one day while
in the lab, took it home and installed it on the new HD. I've had a Linux box
ever since. Being able to put up my own ftpd, httpd, moo, smtpd, etc. was
pretty damn cool.

I met some other folks on campus who were using Linux and we started the
original KULUA which at that time stood for Kansas University Linux User's
Association. That student org pretty much died as far as I know, but Jeffrey
Watts, who I worked with in the aforementioned lab took the acronym and
reworked it a bit and breathed new life into organization. Kudos Jeffrey.

At that time, Linux ran circles around Windows 3.x. It was a real 32-bit OS on
32-bit architecture, not like 'dose. And source code to go along with it.

There's probably a type of person that's drawn to using a system like Linux
and I'm one of those types, I s'pose. Um, it R0X!

--
Dave Hull
http://insipid.com

        Price Schedule::  North America :: March 2000
Application Toolbox     Individual PC   Concurrent PC   Concurrent All Platforms
Optimization            0               0               0
Fun                     0               0               0
Duct Tape               0               0               0
Talking About Duct Tape 4,500           2,100           843,108*   (Liquor tax)
-- Steve Nordquist, Compiling C-Media 'blood gout' drivers, 03/09/00