wireless

Duane Attaway dattaway at attaway.net
Tue Oct 29 16:54:44 CST 2002

On Tue, 29 Oct 2002, Jonathan Hutchins wrote:

> I didn't feel like searching for the specific article, but how much
> elevation do you have to have to get a 26 mile line-of-site?

He was using an amplifier (I assume 1 watt) and 24dbi dish antennas across
a valley on one of the Hawiian islands.  I believe the better receivers of
todays cards may make the amplifier not necessary.  Also, there are the
larger 30dbi dish antennas found on tv antenna masts that may work.  The
only drawback is that higher gain antennas require much more patience when
aiming if you want to receive a signal.  A GPS is a must for anything over
a few miles.

The elevation I got with 1-1/2 miles from a 12dbi and the 24dbi antenna
were about three feet from the ground.  The 12dbi antenna was in a truck
and the 24dbi was laying on the ground.