Digital Editing Software on Linux

Gene Dascher gedascher at multiservice.com
Mon Oct 28 08:56:47 CST 2002

	I currently am using DVGrab
<http://www.schirmacher.de/arne/dvgrab/index_e.html> to capture video from
my video camera, Kino <http://kino.schirmacher.de/> to do rough editing, and
mjpegtools <http://mjpeg.sourceforge.net/> to convert the DV video files to
mpeg files.  mjpegtools can also convert to divx, as well as a number of
other formats.

	The 660Mb for 3 minutes sounds about right when you are talking about
uncompressed digital video.  An hour and 6 minutes of video takes up around
13GB on my system.  It is compressed down to about 660MB in Mpeg 1 format.

	I have tried Cinelerra, but have found it extremely unstable and unable to
read my DV files.  I would have to convert the DV files to another format,
then use Cinelerra to do the editing.  I'll wait until it can do everything
that I need it to do.

	I'm interested to try MainActor
<http://www.mainconcept.com/mainactor.shtml>, but the current version is
only available through the end of this month.  They are bringing a new
version out in December.

Later,
Gene