Syslog and/or logrotate problem

Brad Crotchett brad at ispn.net
Fri Oct 25 16:22:54 CDT 2002

>You may have a problem here, you will be rotating your logs once a day and
only
>keep 4 days worth of info. I hope this is just set to 'daily' for testing
>purposes and should be set back to 'weekly' afterwards.

The working server has the same setup, but I changed it back to weekly to
see if that helps.

>First check to see if /var/run/syslogd.pid contains the actual PID of
syslogd:
>#ps ax |grep syslogd
>  353 ?        S     10:09 syslogd -m 0
>#cat /var/run/syslogd.pid
>353

It was the actual PID...they matched.

>If they match, try running the kill -HUP command from the command prompt to
see
>if it is working, but remove the stderr redirect to /dev/null:

>So run this from the command prompt and see if you get any errors:
>#/bin/kill -HUP `cat /var/run/syslogd.pid 2>/dev/null`

I got this error from command
	[root at ray log]# kill -HUP 'cat /var/run/syslogd.pid 2>/dev/null'
	bash: kill: cat /var/run/syslogd.pid 2>/dev/null: no such pid

>Also, make sure that if you are using any kernel security patches
(GRSecurity,
>LIDS, etc.) that you have your ACLS setup correctly.

Will check on these.

Thanks for the help!