Syslog and/or logrotate problem

Brad Crotchett brad at ispn.net
Fri Oct 25 14:53:06 CDT 2002

>Syslog should be properly writing to your new maillog file, but that
>will only have an affect if your mail server is actually *USING* syslog
>to write it's logs.  Lots of programs don't, and (like apache) directly
>write to their own log files.

>At this point, you need to check your mail-server configuration.  If you
>want more help, tell us what you changed from the default RedHat install
>(did you switch to qmail, exim, postfix, or something?), and provide
>details about your mail server setup, especially anything related to
>logging...

>Charles Steinkuehler
>cstein at newtek.com

The thing is, it is not just the mail logs that are doing this.  It also
happens with the messages files and secure files.  I do think that Sendmail
is using syslog, but I am not positive.  Our system is a web-based user
management system that was built around 97, so the documentation is gone.
It is built from what was then the top of the line packages (Cistron radius,
Sendmail, Cyrus-Imap, BerkelyDB, Apache, and Perl 5, all hacked to work
together so that you enter a user through the web and it creates the user's
directories, mailbox, adds them to an auth dbm file, and to our Sybase DB.
So knowing exactly how each package was compiled is my big mystery, as well
as what hacks need to be done when upgrading versions.  This is my big
project right now, upgrading all of the packages, and frankly I am hitting
many snags.

I can send my sendmail.cf or .mc files if it will help, but as I said, the
problem occurs with many log files, not just mail.

Thanks a lot,

Brad Crotchett