dinner with IBM

Jared Smith jared at trios.org
Tue Oct 22 11:23:06 CDT 2002

>I had a social dinner with someone who works for IBM last week;
>at some point we talked about Linux.  Everything she knew about
>Linux, she had learned at the "Linux aquisition kick-off event."
>
>So apparently within IBM they think they "acquired" Linux.  Or
>at least that is the impression amongst certain internal staff.

Over time it will dawn on them that it's actually the other way
around. Remember, the GPL is viral. :-)

On a serious note, as long as they do not co-opt the fundamental
values of open sourcing, giving back to the community, and
freedom of information (ie standing up against things like DMCA)
I'm all for what they're doing. IBM has consistently put out some
of the finest quality hardware in the industry, for about thirty
years, and I'm attracted to quality. Remember those old IBM
keyboards? You could drive a Mack truck through them and
they'd still be ticking... So many generics around these days
I long for the IBM quality touch.

-Jared