Server load and MYSQL

Aaron aaron at aarons.net
Mon Oct 21 22:59:11 CDT 2002

> with those specs I dont think medusa/webmin etc... are going to be the
> problem.   I suggest running top/ps to see whats chewing up the ram/cpu
> then eliminating the problem.   DB queries can be quite intensive from
> my understanding, but then again I dont do DB's so my opinion use
> pretty much useless I'm sure ;)

According to top, which I watch constantly and have for the past month, I
can see no reason for the high loads.  The server gets roughly 2 million
hits a day and 200,000 page views but the processor usage RARELY goes above
50% (total across both CPU's) and none of the processes really show more
then maybe .1% cup usage.  The memory seems to be getting used up a little
but that's the only thing.  Personally I'm leaning toward some sort of a
disk bottleneck but I can't figure out where it'd be.

Aaron